Your Greatest Adventure: Planning the Perfect Destination Proposal
So you’ve finally found the one, the person you want to travel the world with for the rest of your life! You’re ready to take the next step and propose marriage— what better way to pop the big question than by throwing in a little adventure?
A destination proposal is a chance to experience your big moment in an unforgettable location. It has its perks and challenges, but don’t fret – this guide will walk you through everything! So let’s sit back, pour a glass of bubbly, and start planning your perfect destination proposal!
The Pros of a Destination Proposal
- Traveling for your proposal makes an already special moment into a once in a lifetime experience you will cherish forever. From a beautiful beach to a romantic city to the rugged mountains, the right location can really elevate the experience.
- Once you are officially engaged, you have the rest of the trip to spend quality time with your partner and relax.
- It’s a grand gesture that shows your partner just how important this moment and your relationship is to you!
The Cons of a Destination Proposal
- Destination proposals can be expensive, depending on the location. You can overcome this by creating a budget ahead of time and sticking to it.
- Finding the right accommodations, transportation, activities, and meals for a destination proposal is a lot of work. This can become extra stressful when you are trying to keep your proposal plans on the DL!
- A destination proposal can add even more pressure to create the perfect moment. Just remember that there is beauty even in the imperfect moments of life and that the main focus should be the love and commitment between the two of you!
Choosing the Perfect Destination
Choosing the perfect destination for your proposal can be fun, but it’s also a major decision to make. The key is to find a destination that is meaningful to your relationship.
Consider shared interests. Do you both love spending your days in the great outdoors, sleeping under the stars and cuddling around a campfire? A remote camping trip might be the perfect plan! Are you a couple of urban explorers on a worldwide tour of the most incredible cities in the world? Plan your destination proposal on a rooftop restaurant in a bustling metropolis! Finding a location that speaks to your mutual tastes and interests makes the proposal that much more meaningful.
And remember, it doesn’t have to be a far-off, exotic location. A proposal at a special place close to home can be just as meaningful (if not more so). Maybe you pick the city where you met, or the beachside cafe where you had your first date.
Choosing the timing of your proposal is just as important as the location. The weather, tourist seasons, and any special events at your destination will all have a big impact on the experience. Would you prefer a tropical proposal in the middle of summer, or a snowy proposal during the holidays? These are just a few things to keep in mind!
Finding inspiration from other people’s successful proposals can point you in the right direction, but don’t be afraid to think outside of the box! Maybe you want to pop the question on top of a mountain, on a hot air balloon, or on a scenic boat tour. That extra, unexpected touch at whichever destination you choose will ensure the experience is as unique as your relationship!
Planning the Trip
Sometimes when people are considering a destination proposal, they are so focused on the details surrounding the big moment, they forget they also need to plan a trip. You can’t pull off a romantic, Tuscan engagement, without first booking flights to Tuscany.
The first step for planning a destination proposal (or any trip!) is budgeting, but it can be one of the most intimidating parts for many travelers. Unfortunately, this is not a step which can be avoided or put off. Knowing what you’re working with before you start booking hotels and transportation is crucial. Be sure to create a realistic budget that prioritizes the most important aspects of your trip.
Where you will stay is another vital piece of the puzzle. Would your partner prefer a romantic hotel room with a view, or a cozy and quiet bed and breakfast? Choosing a place that perfectly fits your style and budget will show your partner how much care you put into the engagement.
And finally, don’t forget to plan activities together throughout the trip! The actual engagement will only take up a small fraction of your time. Whether it’s a cooking class, a spa day, or a scenic hike, planning special activities that appeal to both of you before and after the proposal will make the experience even better.
Planning the Destination Proposal
Now that the travel logistics are out of the way, it’s time to plan the proposal itself!
The first step to the perfect proposal is finding the perfect ring! Whether you’re picking out a brand new, sparkling diamond or proposing with a cherished family heirloom, be sure that the ring represents your love and commitment, and also matches your partner’s personal style. Not everyone is into the traditional diamond engagement ring, so don’t be afraid to check out gemstones and ring styles that you don’t typically see on Instagram.
Next, it’s time to plan how to stage the location. Envision the two of you in the space and think about what you can do to make it romantic. Will you need any props or decorations to set the mood? For a beachside proposal, this might be as simple as heading out early to etch a sweet message in the sand. For a romantic dinner, you might want to add some items with personal meaning to the table before you arrive. If you are proposing in a restaurant, make sure the staff know ahead of time, so they are prepared to help with any special accommodations.
Setting the mood in the moment is key. A candlelit dinner followed by a moonlit stroll has a much different feel than breakfast in bed followed by a surprise picnic proposal. You know your partner best, so choose something that feels suited to your relationship.
Adding a personal touch to the proposal is important whether you pop the question on the other side of the world or in your own backyard. Write a heartfelt letter, create a special playlist, or incorporate meaningful memories and inside jokes. The more personal touches you add, the more special the proposal will be.
And don’t forget to capture the moment! Whether you hired a professional photographer or videographer or you’re relying on your own camera phone skills, make sure someone is ready to snap plenty of photos of this life changing moment.
One last thing: be prepared to embrace the unexpected! No matter how well you plan your destination proposal, things don’t always go according to our plans. And that’s okay! Even if it’s not exactly how you envisioned it, just remember to take a deep breath, relax, and smile: you are about to spend the rest of your life with your favorite person!
Your ideal destination proposal is so close to being a reality! Here are a few extra reminders to ensure the experience is perfect.
- Be sure to stay organized! There are a lot of moving parts involved, so it’s important to keep track of all the details. Use a planner, a spreadsheet, or even just the notes app on your phone – whatever helps you to stay on top of things!
- Take advantage of technology! From booking the trip to shopping for the perfect ring to capturing the moment, do your research and find the tools to make planning (and proposing!) as stress-free as possible.
- It’s okay to keep it simple! Sometimes small gestures can have the biggest impact. You don’t necessarily have to go all out with an over-the-top proposal. Just follow your heart and do what feels right for the two of you!
- Don’t forget to enjoy the moment! This trip is about your relationship and the special love you feel for each other. You might lose sight of that in the midst of all the planning, so don’t forget that this should be a a special moment for yourself, too.
Proposing can be scary. After all, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to create a key memory you and your partner will share for the rest of your lives. Just remember to enjoy the process and cherish your first moments as an engaged couple. No matter what, your love and commitment to each other is what matters most.
Here’s to a lifetime of happiness and adventure, together!