Top 50 Most Inspiring Journaling Prompts for Travelers
Traveling can bring so much joy and fulfillment to our lives (a huge reason why we can't get enough of it!) But oftentimes we don't slow down enough to notice the smaller details that make the experience so special!
We've found that journaling is a great way to live in the moment, reflect on past memories and explore future travel dreams. It's a great creative outlet for the feelings, thoughts, chance encounters and unexpected moments that arise in your adventures.
Whether you've never even considered journaling your travels or do it regularly, we have just the inspiration for you to put that pen to paper! Today we are sharing 50 travel prompts to get your juices flowing - before, during and after your next trip.
Anticipation: Before You Go
- The reason I chose this destination is…
- What are my expectations of my destination and what my trip will be like
- What am I looking forward to most and least, before I go?
- What do I hope to get out of this trip? Am I feeling stuck in life? In need of a boost of inspiration? For connection?
- How can I push myself out of my comfort zone on this trip?
- The best part about planning this trip has been…
- One thing I really hope happens on this trip is…
- The food I’m most excited to try on this trip is...
Documentation: On the Road
- Waking up this morning, I feel…
- Close your eyes and describe the smells and sounds of your destination. Open them and write about the rest of your senses.
- The best new thing I tried today was…
- Tomorrow, I hope to spend more time…
- Something I am missing about home is…
- In my destination, I am surprised to find…
- Something surprising about the local culture of my destination is
- Interview your travel buddy.Get their thoughts on the destination and your experience together.
- Document my interaction with locals. What are they like?
- Have any of my perceptions changed about my destination?
- What will I miss most about my destination when I return home?
- What emotions have I felt during this trip?
- Sketch a moment I always want to remember.
- Who did I meet? Animals count!
- Is this trip everything I hoped it would be?
- What’s turning out better than I expected?
- When I walk away from here, what am I going to remember most?
Reflection: Returning Home
- What was my first impression of my destination? Did that change by the end of my trip?Describe the worst thing that happened. Now the best thing.
- The best food I ate all vacation was…
- Something I didn’t get a chance to do but wish I did was…
- The funniest memory of my trip was…
- Something I am missing about my trip is…
- The advice I would like to give myself before my next big trip is…
- The top five highlights of the trip were…
- I will never forget when...
- Record your recommendations. If you, or someone else, were to make the same trip, what are the top must sees and must dos?
- My impressions of the place in ten words or less – focuses the mind wonderfully!
- What did I learn about myself from the time on the road?
- What did I learn about other people around me?
- Did I get what I wanted out of the trip? What would I do differently next time?
- Would I come back to this destination, and why or why not?
Inspiration: Along the Way
- Why do I travel?
- The best travel advice I’ve ever received is…
- What does adventure mean to me?
- What are my favorite travel memories of all time?
- Which do I believe is more important: the journey or the destination? Why?
- What is the most adventurous thing I've done in my life so far?
- What is one way I can add more adventure to my daily life this week?
- Where have I been that feels like home away from home?
- What have I gained through travel? And what have I lost along the way
- What is my favorite inspirational travel quote?
Tips to Start Travel Journaling
- Use the above prompts so you’re not stuck on what to write.
- Always carry your journal with you so it will be at hand when inspiration strikes.
- Write first thing in the morning… instead of scrolling your social media feeds :)
- Digital has its place but we recommend sticking with good ol’ fashioned pen & paper! (We already spend enough time in front of our screens and it’s a less relaxed environment)
- Don’t limit yourself to just writing. Drawing or doodling about your experience can be just as therapeutic and good for reflection.
- Write for yourself, above all else.
Many travelers struggle to keep track of where they’ve been and where they want to visit next. Does this sound like you?
Similar to journaling, charting all of your adventures on a push pin map is the perfect way to keep track of all of your travel experiences and get excited for new adventures on the horizon.
Once you create your personalized map, it's guaranteed to keep you inspired and motivated to take on the world - one new pin at a time!
Let's get started!